Already a member of EPL?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Already a member of EPL?

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Making a team? Read this.

lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Male Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2009-01-17

Making a team? Read this. Empty Making a team? Read this.

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 pm

This is a brief guide to team-building for beginners and intermediates.
    Well, not so much team-building; more like...team-editing.
    Making a team of mostly OU's is pretty easy, but there's still a lot more to consider.

Here are 10 things to remember when making a team:

- A good team never has more than two weaknesses to the same type (Dugtrio and Arcanine, for example). Also, having attacks of all different types is pretty essential as well.

- As for sweeps, walls, tanks, and supporters, it depends on what kind of team you want to build. Stall teams will consist of walls, and sweeper teams consist of...yeah. A regular team has a special sweep, a physical sweep, a special wall, a physical wall, and then two walls/mixes/supporters. But seriously though, it doesn't really matter too much, as long as you still have good coverage and balance and stuff.

- Not that I can predict the future or anything, but I'm pretty sure almost all of your items will consist of choice items and life orb, berries, and leftovers. Try to stick with that. (:

- Sweepers should be fast and have powerful, STAB moves, and walls should be fat and sturdy (like blissey) have status-changing/healing moves. Tanks should be bulky with fairly equal defenses, and supporters should complement your team as much as possible. It's best just to stick with the basics :)

- Most teams have Stealth Rock or some type of spikes. It helps.

- The best teams have lots of OU pokemon. They're OU for a reason!

- If you use pokesav, PLEASE know what you're doing and use it properly. It's probably best to not make all your pokemon shiny with 31 IV's in everything. ;P

- Be aware of standard rules as well as some other clauses. Some people don't like stall teams or skarmbliss, etc. );

- If you can, test your team against yourself or your friends before you enter any tournaments; you'd be surprised at how much you learn about your team from a battle or two.

- Be...clean. If you have voice chat on and your fire blast misses, don't yell ******** ***** ***** **** ****** **** right in the other person's ear. Name your pokemon appropriately as well. Please. Oh, and be a good sport. :D This includes not DCing on purpose because you're losing.

As long as you keep all that in mind, you should be good to go for the most part.
    Also, to help perfect your team, here is a list of the most common, strongest pokemon. How many can you counter? How many can't you counter? Copy and paste into some sort of document and go through these pokemon with your team in mind. Start from the top and delete/make a different color the pokemon you can already counter.

The trick to editing your team is adding things to help counter more pokemon, but not subtracting things that make you lose counters.

LIST OF THREAT POKES MOVED
    Too big of a post.

Last edited by Lotteries on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:49 pm; edited 10 times in total

Making a team? Read this. Empty Re: Making a team? Read this.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:17 pm

- A good team never has more than two pokemon with the same type. Poison-ground and poison-flying count as having the same type. As well has being different types, having moves of all different types is pretty essential as well.
    --
    edit that to say more then 2 weakness to any type because u can have things like heatran metagross and bronzong(all steel) and have a balanced team
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Frolossus wrote:- A good team never has more than two pokemon with the same type. Poison-ground and poison-flying count as having the same type. As well has being different types, having moves of all different types is pretty essential as well.
    --
    edit that to say more then 2 weakness to any type because u can have things like heatran metagross and bronzong(all steel) and have a balanced team

I think I get what you're saying lol, I'll fix it now.
    Haruka
    Master Trainer

Male Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by Haruka Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Staraptor is a pretty common lead too. ;o I think you should add her. ^^
    And thanks for the team building help. I really need to do something about my Zone and Aggron being on the same team. =/ I luffles Halfmetal though, so I think I might replace zone with one of my other Special sweeps
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 pm

rayquaza_lover wrote:Staraptor is a pretty common lead too. ;o I think you should add her. ^^
    And thanks for the team building help. I really need to do something about my Zone and Aggron being on the same team. =/ I luffles Halfmetal though, so I think I might replace zone with one of my other Special sweeps

You say that because it's your own lead xD
    Haruka
    Master Trainer

Post by Haruka Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Lotteries wrote:
    rayquaza_lover wrote:Staraptor is a pretty common lead too. ;o I think you should add her. ^^

I've actually battled a lot of people with a Staraptor lead. ;o She's pretty damn epic too. ^^ She is among one of the best UU Pokes in my opinion.
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:18 pm

rayquaza_lover wrote:
    Lotteries wrote:

I've actually battled a lot of people with a Staraptor lead. ;o She's pretty damn epic too. ^^ She is among one of the best UU Pokes in my opinion.

You're gonna be worrying about OU's most of the time afro
    Haruka
    Master Trainer

Post by Haruka Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:23 pm

I don't care about tiers. xD

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Lotteries wrote:
    rayquaza_lover wrote:
    Lotteries wrote:

dude uu pokes tend to have better strategic uses
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:33 pm

Frolossus wrote:
    Lotteries wrote:
    rayquaza_lover wrote:
    Lotteries wrote:

I didn't say UU's are bad, it's just that OU's are more important xD
    Haruka
    Master Trainer

Post by Haruka Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Frolossus wrote:
    Lotteries wrote:
    rayquaza_lover wrote:
    Lotteries wrote:

Yeah. And some OU Pokes might end up like Garchomp and becoming uber, so UU can be a great way to go. ;o
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:40 pm

rayquaza_lover wrote:
    Frolossus wrote:
    Lotteries wrote:
    rayquaza_lover wrote:
    Lotteries wrote:

Yeah. And some OU Pokes might end up like Garchomp and becoming uber, so UU can be a great way to go. ;o
    For now, the OU pokemon are OU o.o
    Haruka
    Master Trainer

Post by Haruka Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 pm

For now. C;

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Kenny's Shuckle is godly when she predicts right. xD Other than that it fails epicly.
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Kenny wrote:Kenny's Shuckle is godly when she predicts right. xD Other than that it fails epicly.
    lol, yup =)

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 pm

Lotteries wrote:
    Kenny wrote:Kenny's Shuckle is godly when she predicts right. xD Other than that it fails epicly.
    lol, yup =)
    Yeah, just about any poke that isn't used properly will be a huge fail. |D I feel safe with Failpert.
    Haruka
    Master Trainer

Post by Haruka Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:02 pm

FAILPERT FTW
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:04 pm

You guys are funny xD

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:04 pm

xD Yeah. I accidentally left the shiny code on which is why he is shiny. |D
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:19 pm

lol
    shiny electrode looks beastly (:

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:20 pm

Lotteries wrote:lol
    shiny electrode looks beastly (:
    Yeah. |3 I got so lucky with mine.
    Silver
    Silver
    Greater than Arceus

Male Number of posts : 730
    Registration date : 2008-09-02

Post by Silver Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Team building guide. Not a shiny discussion thread.
    And the best teams aren't just full of OU. The best teams have their own stategy-their own threat-that makes them unique. Some kind of awesome tactic that no one expects, yet still pwns! That's my opinion.

And as for the counters thing. That's quite a threat list there. There's no way a team can counter everything, so in my opinion, a team should counter its weaknesses rather than common threats.

Just my little contribution to the guide. ^^

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 pm

Silver wrote:Team building guide. Not a shiny discussion thread.
    And the best teams aren't just full of OU. The best teams have their own stategy-their own threat-that makes them unique. Some kind of awesome tactic that no one expects, yet still pwns! That's my opinion.

And as for the counters thing. That's quite a threat list there. There's no way a team can counter everything, so in my opinion, a team should counter its weaknesses rather than common threats.

D: I mostly have UUs in my team but yeah, it's all strategy.
    lotteries
    lotteries
    Regular Trainer

Post by lotteries Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Silver wrote:Team building guide. Not a shiny discussion thread.

I definitely agree that UU's can be beastly, but a good, solid team has to have all-important core pokemon that get the job done to start out with, and then you can sprinkle some UU's in to help spice up your combo's and provide yourself with interesting coverage! =)

As for the counters, I don't expect everyone to be able to counter EVERYTHING; I just want people to be aware of what they CAN'T counter. xD

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:11 pm

o:
    Lexi needs a new team.
    Ground and rock are deadly for me.
    xD

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content