Already a member of EPL?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Already a member of EPL?

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
BeastExe
Purugly
Silver
Kenny
Jolteon
Scep
10 posters

Project EPL

Scep
    Scep
    EPL Founder

Female Number of posts : 299
    Registration date : 2008-06-22

Project EPL Empty Project EPL

Post by Scep Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:19 am

Project EPL ProjectEPLBanner1Border
    PROJECT: EPL
    Suggestions are needed

Because you know this forum is pretty much a project in terms of work to do.
    Got your attention enough? Okay.
    We've all pretty much established that this forum's hanging on it's last threads.
    And many of you guys are somewhat enthusiastic about bringing the forum back to life.
    So.... We needed a suggestions board to hold all the suggestions you guys had about fixing up EPL.
    Since the old board just went from 'WHERE DID EVERYONE GO' to 'LET\'S SAVE EPL' to '*KITTEN FLIES AWAY*'
    And that's pretty much the story of EPL: we start on topic, and then we just go to a bucket of spam.
    Which really isn't healthy.
    So, the ten people that are left/thinking about quitting this soon-to-be-dump, let's brainstorm shall we?
    Because it would be a real shame to have this place die after Beast did such a good job on the background D:

No spam, please, just ideas and what you think about them.

Ideas:

• More Tourneys
    • Advertise
    • Art / Sprite Contests
    • Pokemon of The Week
    • Work on Wi-fi Section
    • Bring Back our Region that never lived to see daylight
    • Poke-pets....which aren't really original :D
    • Bring in new members?
    • Ask our resident Professor _____
    • CB finally makes like a tree and leaves
    • Fandubs
    • EPL's own game
    • Board Reset
    • Special Access Boards
    • Neopets Guild / CG

Last edited by War-Rock on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:21 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Editing Ideas)

Project EPL Empty Re: Project EPL

Post by Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 am

well, more Art or Sprite contests, or perhaps some kind of tourney. something that can get people's attention.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:00 pm

YAY I GOT A SHOUT OUT! Well, i stopped writing PoTW things because EPL died. So I could definitely start those up again :) And umm, like Xyon said, tourneys or something. EPL started out as a Wi-Fi battling and such area and I think that we need to get back to that :)
    Jolteon
    Jolteon
    Master Trainer

Male Number of posts : 376
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by Jolteon Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Advertising and more wi-fi related stuff. And yeah, contests and other things so that people have more reasons to go on EPL.
    Scep
    Scep
    EPL Founder

Female Number of posts : 299
    Registration date : 2008-06-22

Post by Scep Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Jolteon wrote:Advertising and more wi-fi related stuff. And yeah, contests and other things so that people have more reasons to go on EPL.
    What kind of other things, though?
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Expert Trainer

Female Number of posts : 225
    Registration date : 2009-06-08

Post by Kenny Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:28 pm

I think the General Chat is the most important seeing that everyone posts there rather than the wi-fi section (because we stopped caring about actually battling and trading).
    Jolteon
    Jolteon
    Master Trainer

Male Number of posts : 376
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by Jolteon Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:29 pm

War-Rock wrote:
    Jolteon wrote:Advertising and more wi-fi related stuff. And yeah, contests and other things so that people have more reasons to go on EPL.
    What kind of other things, though?
    Contests and... tournaments I guess. xD Anything that makes people want to post here. And more activity in Pokemon sections because the forum is called Elite Pokemon Legion. Though, more chatting in the general sections would be good too.
    Silver
    Silver
    Greater than Arceus

Male Number of posts : 730
    Registration date : 2008-09-02

Post by Silver Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:21 pm

My suggestion would be to think of something to make this site... Unique. Something unlike any of the other Pokemon sites.
    Purugly
    Purugly
    Regular Trainer

Female Number of posts : 83
    Registration date : 2008-07-11

Post by Purugly Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:31 pm

WE NEED MORE MANTRA!N
    yes. we know that.
    but the question is "What?"
    ideas are lovely, but uefbheruinjd they are fairly useless if they don't have something to back them up.
    What do you suggest?
    Silver
    Silver
    Greater than Arceus

Post by Silver Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:36 am

I suggest a Pokemon RP. But not just any RP, the RP. An RP with a battle system that takes place... Over Shoddy battle. This way, battles are not only fair, but unpredictable as well! Here's how it'd work:

The two characters who are fighting in the RP log in to Shoddy. They battle. When they're done, they save the log, do a little editing (like saying their character names instead of their Shoddy names), and post the log in story-form (instead of log-form).

Eh?
    Purugly
    Purugly
    Regular Trainer

Post by Purugly Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:09 am

Silver wrote:I suggest a Pokemon RP. But not just any RP, the RP. An RP with a battle system that takes place... Over Shoddy battle. This way, battles are not only fair, but unpredictable as well! Here's how it'd work:

The two characters who are fighting in the RP log in to Shoddy. They battle. When they're done, they save the log, do a little editing (like saying their character names instead of their Shoddy names), and post the log in story-form (instead of log-form).

Eh?
    ...hm.
    i don't quite agree with that.
    of course, writing is freedom and thus you are allowed to write any way that you like...

but for someone like me, that would just take the fun out of it.
    it's not quite cheating, don't get me wrong because I'm not saying that, but...
    I see it as using a generator to make your post.
    blahblahblah
    go ahead and call me on my poor battling skills; they suck I know...
    but
    "When they're done, they save the log, do a little editing (like saying their character names instead of their Shoddy names), and post the log in story-form (instead of log-form)"
    Story form? You mean paragraph form?
    If I end up being a RP mod again, would you mind showing me an example of your using this to aid in battle-writing?
    not that I do not trust you of course, but I would simply like an example.

I... Hm. I understand. I just don't think it's a system that I would use.

and as far as it being the rp... I don't think so.
    Unless a site is purely based on roleplaying, having something like that doesn't really work.
    I do not say this from a point of pessimism but from experience. Having a strict set for everything (battling included) tends to... Well, kill the thread.
    what about the people who don't know how to battle well? What if they just do horribly in the battle? That would mean that they would have to just write about their loss.
    not to be all lol ketchup"Ash Ketchum" on people... or something~ But writing in a roleplay should be enjoyable. Someone could write purely about their loss, but that usually 'makes' their character spiral into some "baaaaaaaaaw i suck boohoo" depression sort of deal. That situation... It should be avoided.

tl;dr
    This kind of rp would need to be discussed a bit/lot more before it could happen without a lot of hiccups.

edit;
    if this doesn't make sense, it's because i'm about to pass out. |D I'll look over this tomorrow.
    Silver
    Silver
    Greater than Arceus

Post by Silver Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:21 am

Ok, ok, I see, I should've been a bit more clear.

The battles done for the RP shouldn't be "competitive standard" battles. Uh... For example, last time I calculated damage for the last RP, I never included any IVs or EVs of any kind, and left the natures neutral, because normal trainers in the world wouldn't care or pay attention to something like that. Not only that, but using Shoddy allows RP'ers/ Players to keep track of levels and add sort of a "real-life" element to the RP. 'Cause not every battle will automatically be conducted with all level 100's and full EVs or anything close.

RP'ers/Players also have some freedom to write, too. For example, here's what I meant:
    Pikachu uses Thunderbolt and does 50%.
    Charmander uses Ember and gets a critical hit and does 80%.
    Pikachu uses Thunder and misses.
    Charmander uses Scratch and does 20%. Pikachu faints.
    A translation could be something like this:

"Pikachu, fire off a Thunderbolt, now!" commanded TrainerA. Pikachu charged electricity and launched an electrical blast. Charmander couldn't avoid it.
    "Grr... Hang in there Charmander! Ember! Go!" Charmander charged toward Pikachu to get in range for Ember. As he dashed to Pikachu's side, he shot off Ember. Spot on, Pikachu seemed to get nailed by that attack.
    "(Now's the last resort...) Pikachu... Thunder!" barked TrainerA. No chance. Now, the opponent finished it with Scratch, and it was over for Pikachu.

Now, I'm not turning this into an RP thread, or anything, but only explaining. That's an example of what I meant by "translating". The Shoddy battle would only serve as a guide of how the end product would look. RP'ers/ Players can take the battle and still make it however they want as long as it's accurate and follows what actually happened. I bet there's probably over a dozen different ways I could've written that.

I'm not saying Shoddy's the solution to everything, just better way to conduct battles to make it more realistic, and let people actually "train" their Pokemon in the RP (I haven't exactly worked out a way to make people gain "fair" levels, though.).

Also, battles skills or expertise shouldn't be brokenly cheap, or anything, because remember the mechanics of competitive battling and RP battling are totally different. For example, a competitive battler would never and could never use Double Team. For RP battling, Double team is great and makes "clones" of your Pokemon (Or whatever. I'm totally guessing here. XD ).

I know this style of battling may take a few "creative" elements of writing, but I still believe in it and think it's still a good way to go.
    Purugly
    Purugly
    Regular Trainer

Post by Purugly Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm not an idiot. Do not speak (type?) to me as if I were one. Your idea might be good, but it still goes against a few 'ideas' of roleplay battling. The usual kind, anyway. It still needs to be worked on.

For example, let's say that the character is battling a gym leader. Unless a kid has been training for quite the long while, and unless they were battling a 'newbie' leader.. like Maylene or Flannery moreso, it would certainly be a bit difficult. To be fair in that sort of situation, you would need to have your levels equal to that of the Pokemon ingame. And no, no level 100s.
    Levels do not apply in roleplays. But with your idea, that has to be changed.
    oh whatever. it's not like you care.

As I've already said, I don't believe I would personally join that roleplay. Too much calculating. Not enough creative writing. Though they should not be ignored completely, roleplays do not usually contain much fighting. And, if a future RP includes legends, you must take that into consideration.
    A legend like... Giratina or something would have strength that it had gained over thousands upon thousands of years. A kid flying up with their little Clefairy and have it use Blizzard? In your idea of roleplaying, that could make it all over for such a powerful beast in one hit.
    I don't think that's right.

With your idea, one must be extremely careful not to godmode. As we know, this takes no skill whatsoever. aaaaaaand. Really, I don't know about the others, but I don't want to read paragraph upon paragraph about statistics and numbers. Perhaps those that enjoy math better would, but not me.

Unless a roleplay is going to be purely about battling, then I'm not quite sure how well this would work. Do not launch into a multi-paragraph lecture about how it could work/I'm wrong. You've already done that.

I believe the discussion about this type of roleplaying is done. We're clogging up the thread.
    Silver
    Silver
    Greater than Arceus

Post by Silver Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 pm

I'm not calling you or talking to you like an idiot. I didn't even imply that, I was just explaining my post a bit more since you asked for an example. If it seemed like I was, then I'm sorry, but I wasn't.

Anyway, just thought of a totally-creatively-original-100%-mine-idea that no one ever thought of. Ever.... Ever.

What about Pokemon pets? Maybe some equipment could be bought for them with a points system.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Silver wrote:I'm not calling you or talking to you like an idiot. I didn't even imply that, I was just explaining my post a bit more since you asked for an example. If it seemed like I was, then I'm sorry, but I wasn't.

Anyway, just thought of a totally-creatively-original-100%-mine-idea that no one ever thought of. Ever.... Ever.

What about Pokemon pets? Maybe some equipment could be bought for them with a points system.

I like the Pokemon Petsthing,but codin' is gonna be a pain.;c

Also,this may be apparent,but, we /need/ to advertise.
    But before that,we need rules an' mods.
    So lets get that straightened out,an' after that thenuh..
    Well,Adam goes to PsyPokes,maybe 'ee can get some friends to join,we can make a guild on Neopets...
    Etc;

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:56 pm

1)Neopets hurts my soul and is always swamped by a bunch of twelve year olds spamming arceus.

2)Reading lessons. I despise people that can only read chat speak or a minute or two and then get a headache or are to lazy to even care.

3)Will this be a gradual process or all at once?

4)I could advertise on dA :) At least some people there have sense.

5)Ummm we could have a professor section or whatever that people can ask questions in dif. categories about stuff on there POKEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! games that they are having trouble with and have a mod/Prof. for that section :)

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Seriously Im Done wrote:1)Neopets hurts my soul and is always swamped by a bunch of twelve year olds spamming arceus.

2)Reading lessons. I despise people that can only read chat speak or a minute or two and then get a headache or are to lazy to even care.

5)Ummm we could have a professor section or whatever that people can ask questions in dif. categories about stuff on there POKEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! games that they are having trouble with and have a mod/Prof. for that section :)

^This!
    1: that's too true. Neopets is filled with loser 12 year olds that can't even pay attention.
    2:sorry. I was in class, and didn't wanna get caught reading this whole long thing. but I DO wanna help.
    3: no response
    4:dA is amazing. and I could advertise. some of my things can be found on google, so I could edit my pics with this site's URL on it. ^^
    5: that's an intriguing idea. on my forum, I made a special Organization XIII, and i'm going to make a private forum for just the Organization XIII to read and post. so I'm intrigued by the professor idea.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:33 pm

Seriously Im Done wrote:1)Neopets hurts my soul and is always swamped by a bunch of twelve year olds spamming arceus.

There is actually /some/ decent people on there,an' we can make the guild Private.
    ;o

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:14 pm

HOW ABOUT WE FORM AN ACTUAL POKEMON LEAGUE HERE???? I know you all have tried before but I believe we should try to revive it. Me and Puru had one on dA but didnt have enough activity to kick off. Now we have enough activity but it seems like people aren't interested. I AM WILLING to take the time and help rebuild this part of EPL :) I would enjoy it in fact lol
    Purugly
    Purugly
    Regular Trainer

Post by Purugly Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:17 pm

no.
    people will b!tch and whine too much.
    no no no no no.
    it causes too much trouble.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Purugly wrote:no.
    no no no no no.

Love you Puru xD

But if we want EPL to become active again and mostly free of bull crap people need to get along and stop arguing about tiny things that they dont agree with. EX: Pickle v.s. The Universe lol

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:48 pm

no no no no no.
    this to the 69th power
    every time we've tried, it just blows up
    so, no

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:20 am

CHO CHANG wrote:
    no no no no no.
    this to the 69th power
    every time we've tried, it just blows up
    so, no

Well then we have nothing to lose. Were trying to accommodate a hopefully larger forum population before long. If we just keep doing things that only deal with what the people we have NOW want and like then we will get no where.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 pm

that may be true, but one thing I do, I put up a rule that CLEARLY STATES that "peepulz dont tawk lyk dis in MY forum, or I will simply delete your posts or ahve a higher-ranked mod do it." I do that on whatever site I put a blog or forum on. if you clearly state it, people will either oblige and cooperate, or leave. and if they try to do "dees" anyways, stay true to your word and delete their posts. easiest fix to them fags. =3
    Purugly
    Purugly
    Regular Trainer

Post by Purugly Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Xyon XI wrote:that may be true, but one thing I do, I put up a rule that CLEARLY STATES that "peepulz dont tawk lyk dis in MY forum, or I will simply delete your posts or ahve a higher-ranked mod do it." I do that on whatever site I put a blog or forum on. if you clearly state it, people will either oblige and cooperate, or leave. and if they try to do "dees" anyways, stay true to your word and delete their posts. easiest fix to them fags. =3
    no.
    people won't learn.
    they'll just wait a bit and then do the exact same thing again.
    while I agree with you that something like that must be stated, i do not think that you should just delete their posts.
    maybe for the first few offenses (depending of what they post, of course) but not after.
    warnings should be handed out. more swift... punishment, if you will. there's no sense in trying to talk to people like that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:12 am